I finally bit the bullet and went to Toys R Us to look for a nerf ball to use as a round, hat-blocking surface. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. This ball is too big, this one is too small... Unlike Goldilocks, I didn't find one that was just right. But the too small one is working nonetheless and I didn't get chased by bears, so all is well.
I've got the ball resting in a large, green, plastic, drinking cup because the bottom of the hat comes down over the ball. This way it can hang down straight. (I don't know why, but that picture makes me think of ice cream cones.)
The matching sweater is all seamed up. Here's a sneak peak:
There aren't any shoulder seams because I grafted them. I'm so pleased with how that came out, I may never seam a shoulder again.
When everything is dry, I'll take pictures of the whole set.
PS - If you go over to my blog you can see the dragon scarf I made for my 3 year old nephew.